Saturday, December 13, 2008

Courage

I mentioned in the first post that I work for a school. For some reason I figure I shouldn't mention the name of the school, but suffice it to say It's a great high school. We have great kids and great parents. I'm an administrator, and sadly, I only get to meet many of our kids when they get into trouble. But today, I got an opportunity to meet some great kids doing great stuff. I was assigned to attend a swim meet at the Ramsey Center at UGA. Our kids were competing for the region championship, and even though I enjoy watching sports events, I was a little bummed out that I had to do this instead of hunting. I don't get much time for myself, what with five kids in the house and a job that drains every ounce of mental energy at my disposal. I had covered a basketball game until late the previous night, so I just didn't really feel like going to this event. Of course somebody's got to do it, so I showed up on time and sat down with my bottle of water and bag of Skittles ready to do my share of hand shaking and congratulatory high fives. What I witnessed was undescribable with mere words, but I'll try because everyone needs to know the good stuff that goes on in high school, not just what you see in the newspapers.

I sat through several races and spoke to the coach and parents satisfied that this would end like most events like this and I'd go home a little bored and ready to see my own kids for a few minutes before bed. Then the announcer sent out a call for the 50 meter freestyle event. The coach walked down to a young man sitting alone, grabbed his hand and led him to lane 8 at the far end of the pool conspicuously separated from the four other competitors by several lanes of open water. I recognized him as one of our special ed kids. I don't know what his disability is; sadly I haven't taken the time to talk to him although I see him everyday. But it is obvious that he suffers from a serious mental disability. He walks to lunch by himself and feeds himself, but he sits alone most of the time. Today, without realizing it, he would bring me face-to-face with my own shortcomings.

When the buzzer sounded he jumped into the water awkwardly and swam and swam and swam, all the way down to the other end, made a perfect turn, and swam back just like a champ. His form wasn't perfect. He didn't win the race, not even close. But he became my hero forever. He climbed up out of the pool, and when his coach pointed out to him that the entire arena was cheering for him, he raised his fists in victory.

What courage! What a competitor! I thought to myself that if that had been me, I would have been afraid. I would have been afraid to get in that pool because I would have known that I couldn't beat the kids from those other schools who looked like Olympians and swam like fish, those kids with perfect physiques and high scores on some test the rest of the world uses to judge us all. In fact, if it were me, just as I am, they would need to have an ambulance waiting to take me to the hospital. I would probably have a coronary. And I thought to myself, the only challenge I face every day is whether or not I can resist a stack of cookies left in the break room at school.

Truly, this young man faces challenges everyday, simply getting through his day, that I can't even imagine. But he competes. He fights. He succeeds. He gets in the pool and swims his heart out in an arena that only the best can hope to conquer.

Yes today I found a new hero, and when I managed to get the tears out of my eyes and the lump out of my throat, I yelled out to him, "great job Ryan." He and his dad were beaming. His coach was beaming too. By the way, she's a hero too. No doubt she could have been posing for pictures with the winners or strategizing with the next group, but she was making sure Ryan had the opportunity to compete. I am so proud of them, and so thankful that God sent me to this event to remind me that there is so much good out there if we are just looking for it. There is determination, and there is amazing courage. You just have to pay attention and open your heart and mind when God wants to show it to you.

1 comment:

Morris five said...

You are an awesome writer. You have lots of people who look up to you everyday, I personally know five of them (I mean six!)