Monday, April 20, 2009

Becky

I lost a friend this week. She was a unique soul. It seemed like she just saw the world through different eyes, from an odd perspective. Maybe she just saw the world for what it really is. But somehow she seemed a little sad, like she couldn't find a comfortable place in life. On the other hand, I only saw her in crowds and I just don't think she enjoyed crowds. My dad is like that. I can't get the man to go to a football game with me. So why do I judge them for that? If it makes them uncomfortable, why should they put themselves through it? Truth is, they shouldn't have to. I should accept it. I should want them to be happy. My friend was also a singer. Did I mention that? She had a following, but only once did I bother to go listen to her sing. Some friend I am. Maybe that's one of the things she'll leave with me, a greater willingness to accept people for who they are and to wish them happiness without judgement. Thanks Becky. I've always said the secret to happiness is to pay attention. There is good in everyone, and there is love and joy all around us if we just take a moment to look for it. It doesn't come in one big moment for most of us like hitting a walk-off homerun in the World Series or winning the Lotto. It comes in a smile from your kid or a "Daddy, I love you." It comes with the first warm breeze of spring, or the smell of barbecue at a tailgate with friends. It comes to me when I watch my children sleep. I wish I'd paid more attention to you, Becky. But I'm watching and listening now, and I know you are too.

No comments: